Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Steak Rub



I have two cooking goals for the summer. 1) I want to try new recipes on the grill instead of cooking the usual chicken, steak and hamburgers. 2) I want to come up with kid-friendly recipes that creatively sneak in fruits, veggies and other healthy stuff. To achieve goal #1, I purchased Weber's Way to Grill cookbook. The cookbook has mouthwatering pics on every page, grilling techniques and tools, and numerous simple grilling recipes. The back of the book is dedicated to sauces, marinades and rubs and tonight I tried a southwest rub. I used it on 2 steaks and it was phenomenal. I honestly wasn't expecting much from a steak rub but it was out of this world. The best part is I adjusted the recipe for the spices I had on hand and it still turned out well!




Southwest Rub from Weber's Way to Grill Cookbook

2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. granulated garlic
2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. pepper

Here's what I used tonight based on what I had in the pantry....

Kristen's Spice Rub

2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp pepper

Mix together in a 8x8in dish. Add steaks and rub on both sides. Let sit at room temp for 30 min and grill. I've read that it's best to let steaks sit at room temp 30 min before grilling to ensure that they grill evenly. Enjoy!






No comments: